7 Of The Best Strategies To Create A Kickass Self-Care Routine (+Examples!)
Written by: Liz Brown - Feb. 18, 2019
Who doesn’t love a good day of pampering? Women spend hundreds of dollars each and every month on expensive spa days that include luxury facials, massages, mani-pedis, and maybe even an exotic bath or two, just to take a load off and relax from their hectic day-to-day. The only problem is that finding the time (and the extra cash) to treat yourself to a spa day is probably a lot harder to come by than you think, especially if you have a busy schedule. But thankfully that’s where a self-care routine comes in handy.
Having a daily self-care routine is a great way to ensure you are taking care of yourself, doing the things you love, and an opportunity to relieve some stress. Everyone can benefit from having a daily self-care routine, but you’ll only reap the rewards by making it a habit. So, these are the five best self-care strategies to help you create a kickass self-care routine, and show yourself some TLC.
What Is A Self Care Routine?
To put it simply, a self-care routine is a series of “rituals” that improves your overall well-being on a daily basis. The primary end-goal of a self-care routine is not only to improve your quality of life, but to help you feel more accomplished, fulfilled, and in some cases, help you move toward achieving a particular goal.
Your daily self-care routine can include pretty much anything, as long as it makes you feel happy, productive, and in general, just helps you feel better about your day. According to a 2008 study on the global factors that affect one’s quality of life is surprisingly not a person’s job, finances, or even their social status—it’s actually a person’s level on consciousness and responsible attitude toward life and others. The most effective kind of self-care routine isn’t complicated and doesn’t even require a lot of time, for that matter, but it’s the commitment to that self-care routine that has the biggest impact on one’s life.
Benefits Of A Daily Self Care Routine
You might be wondering why you should even consider incorporating a daily self-care routine into your schedule at all. Well, the benefits of a self-care routine are invaluable when it comes to the effects it can have in your life.
- Increased self-awareness
- Boost in self-esteem
- Feeling of empowerment
- Weight loss
- Increased productivity
- Improved health and wellbeing
- A positive mindset about life and others
7 Self Care Strategies To Improve Your Quality Of Life
Utilizing these simple self-care strategies into your day-to-day life are probably a lot easier than you think. In fact, you probably do some variation of these already without even realizing that it’s actually a self-care practice! According to the Department of Health & Human Services, the following categories have a direct reflection on your overall quality of life and will serve as our guide to developing your perfect self-care routine.
- Workplace or Professional
However, self-care is a very personal thing and it can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Your approach to self-care may differ than others—but by using these self-care strategies you learn more about what self-care means to you and how you can incorporate it to your life to create a daily self-care routine you enjoy.
1. Personal Self Care Strategies
Your personal self-care is simple. It’s incorporating at least one thing that makes you feel good about yourself! This one is usually more of a pampering type of activity so feel free to get totally bougie. This can be something as simple as:
- Taking a bubble bath
- Enjoying a face mask
- Lighting your favorite candles
- Going to bed early
- Watching your favorite TV show without interruption
- Treating yourself to a nice dinner
- Reading a good book, again, without interruption
2. Physical Self Care Strategies
Taking care of your physical body is not only important for your health but plays a huge factor in your overall well-being. In fact, a 2018 study on the relationship between physical activity and incident depression, published on The American Journal of Psychiatry, concluded that people who participate in physical activity, even as little as 10 minutes each day, are less likely to have feelings of depression and experience a better quality of life compared to those who are sedentary, regardless of age and geographical region. But taking care of your physical body goes beyond exercise. Here are some ways you can take care of your physical body in your daily self-care routine:
- Develop a regular sleep routine
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Take a walk at least once a day
- Drink SkinnyFit Detox for a full body reboot
- Try a fun workout class that you enjoy going to
- Reduce your intake of alcohol, added sugar, and convenience foods
- Try a new, healthy recipe
- Reduce stress with these stress relief tips
3. Psychological Self Care Strategies
This type of self-care strategy is intended to help you gain more perspective, clarity, and feel more clear-headed so you are able to intellectually engage with the challenges that are found in your day to day life—like work, family, personal, etc.
- Find a non-work related hobby that brings you happiness
- Keep a reflection journal
- Turn off your cell phone, email, and electronics at a certain time every day
- Talk to someone who is really great at listening
- Spend time with friends and family that make you feel good
- Make time for meditation or relaxation
- Read self-improvement books
- Wind down at the end of the night with a cup of SkinnyFit ZzzTox
4. Workplace or Professional Self Care Strategies
Having a sense of fulfillment in one’s work can play a big role in how you see the world. Regardless of what your job is—whether you’re a cashier, school teacher, lawyer, or a stay at home mom—you should be able to take pride in the things you do. Try incorporating these self-care strategies into your daily routine for a deeper sense of pride in your work:
- Get involved with a peer group with like-minded individuals
- Set clear boundaries within your schedule to keep your work life separate from your personal life
- Attend seminars and conferences regularly
- Find a mentor or become a mentor
- Set short term work goals
5. Emotional Self Care Strategies
Nothing can feel more frustrating than being unable to experience your full range of emotions. By incorporating emotional self-care practices into your self-care routine you can learn to not just manage your emotions but feel comfortable enough to feel them when you need to (and be okay with it).
- Practice gratitude
- Write down three positive things from your day
- Practice positive self-talk
- Try yoga or meditation
- Speak to a therapist
- Find a creative outlet (like painting, blogging, writing, music)
6. Spiritual Self Care Strategies
Understanding, or having a desire to understand, the complexities of the universe can bring about major epiphanies for many people. These types of “spiritual breakthroughs” can help you navigate more confidently through life with more positivity and hope for the future.
- Start a reflection journal
- Read books about spirituality
- Participate in meditation or yoga
- Listen to music
7. Relationship Self Care Strategies
As humans, it’s in our nature to come together. Similarly, it’s in our nature to crave a sense of community. By incorporating these relationship strategies into your self-care routine you can develop healthy relationships and feel more connected to the people around you.
- Take an acquaintance to coffee to get to know them better
- Call up an old friend to let them know you’re thinking about them
- Attend special events for your friends and family
- Keep your promises
- Prioritize your relationships
- Learn to say no (you can’t please everyone!)
How To Create Your Own Daily Self Care Routine
With all of these helpful self-care strategies to try, you might be wondering where to even begin. Well, sometimes you have to start with just one thing. That’s it, just pick one thing and see if it works for you. If not, simply try another! What’s important is to try and incorporate strategies for all of the areas that have a direct reflection on your overall quality of life. Sometimes all it takes is a commitment to just one thing that makes you feel good, and SkinnyFit products are a great place to start.
SkinnyFit products are created to help you look and feel healthy and beautiful from the inside out, and we have a product for everything! From helping you accelerate your weight loss journey, improving your gut health, and getting glowing hair and nails, to boosting your energy for a workout, reversing the signs of aging, and even improving your recovery, we’ve got you covered.
Click here to get our favorite product bundle!